Belfast Store

This store was opened in 1878 by Sherwood and Wright and by 1885 it was trading as Sherwood & Co Wine, Spirit and Provision Merchants. In 1888 it was trading as Robert Henry & Co, followed in 1895 by owner William T Talboys. By 1925, when William Jelley purchased the business, it was known as London House but the date of the name change is unknown.

William Jelley ran a very successful drapery and department store until retiring in 1948 at which time his sons Ted and Len took over the running of the business. In 1955 John Ferris leased the building from the Jelley family and relocated his furnishing business into London House. Following his father’s death Colin Ferris continued to run the family business until it was closed in the early 1960’s.

The building remained empty for a few years until Leo Mangos leased it from Mrs Margaret Jelley and used the building to store his bulk carpets. In 1978 he vacated the building to allow Bob Howard to lease it for his home appliance and TV store dealing in Fisher and Paykel, National, Pye, Phillips, Sanyo, Thorn and Fountain products.

Bob Howard Ltd continued trading until 1982 and Mrs Jelley later sold the building to the Ministry of Works. The building was demolished, stored and later reconstructed on its present site using the same stones.

Belfast Store building is now the home of OCTA Gallery